Functional sculpure, Escalator
The direct connection from the castle to the city
An idea with historical roots
Until 1800, a wooden connecting passage linked the Landhaus with Linz Castle. This direct connection to the city along the still existing wall leading from the castle to the city fell victim to the great fire of Linz in August 1800 together with the south wing, the Landhaus and numerous town houses.
The planned escalator, supported by slender steel trusses, takes up the shape and location of the historic former wooden connecting passage between the castle and the city and will in future carry visitors to the castle museum comfortably up from the Tummelplatz to the exhibitions of the Upper Austrian Provincial Museum. The upper, cantilevered end of the staircase keeps a respectful distance from the fortified substructure masonry of the south wing. Visitors reach the viewing terrace via a filigree footbridge. Supported by lateral wall bearings, the slender, precisely cut, metallic shimmering corpus 'floats' between the historic walls without supports and becomes a 'functional sculpture'. The central exit opens up the plateau above the stone rotunda halfway up the castle hill. The existing staircase below remains unchanged in its function. Due to its technicality and inviting gesture, the escalator represents a consistent architectural continuation and complement to the seemingly floating bridge structure of the south wing.